HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hardcore lead cleaning solvent?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 03:21 AM
emptyquiver2
Nontypical Buck

I cut my teeth as a kid casting for an old remington rolling block in 50/70 which I still shoot from time to time. Over the years I had accumulated several others, from rems in 45/70 to springfields, winchester highwalls and sharps. For quite a few years I was a member of the NSSA and jumped between the springfields, enfields, smith and gallager carbines. Leading was always a problem, it not only caused difficult loading over time with the rifled muskets but had a dramatic effect on accuracy on them all. What I found is a simple method that did not involve the use of messy solutions, with time spent scrubbing the lengths of the tubes in the hope of removing the lead. Here it is, it can also be used on your shotguns to tighten up those groups. Go to your local grocery store and pick up a package of the copper "chore girls", you know, the copper metal scrubby(not the silver one) that one uses to clean pots and pans, unraval it and cut it with sissors into squares, large enough to wrap around an old bore brush that you have discarded. Clean your bore as you normally would, then attach the wrapped bore brush to your rod and stroke the length of the tube three to four times. Pull the brush out and turn the bore upside down onto a sheet of clean white paper and what you will find is lead deposits that the edges of the "chore girl" have grabbed and removed. Presto, your back in the Ten Ring again. Even at the range, its handy to have with you during extensive shooting, you realize that your groups are starting to open up.