HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 04:39 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Someone else has already spoken of camo. While I grant that camo may provide an important advantage for bow hunters (because I'm not a bow hunter and am loathe to comment on activities I have no first hand experience with, and point out that the operative word in this phrase is "may"), I'm betting that camo does not provide a significant advantage to rifle hunters. My argument would be that a hunter dressed in blue jeans and a checked flannel shirt will take as many deer -- other things being equal -- if they (1) correctly attend to the wind in selecting their set-ups, (2) they place themselves in shadows, (3) they place themselves where brush conceals their feet and lower legs, (4) where back ground breaks up their outline, and (5) they remain still most of the time -- and, of course, (6) if they have selected a good set-up in the first place based on either advanced scouting and/or extensive knowledge of their hunting area and experience hunting there. I would also argue that making errors with respect to any one of wind and movement and not taking advantage of shadows will trump good camoflage clothes. It may be worth noting that several of these things comprise "natural" camoflage, if you will. Another point is that if parts of your body are concealed -- as behind brush or in a shadow -- the value of the camo is diminished because you could be painted day-glow yellow and it wouldn't matter, as the brush hides you or no light is available for seeing the day-glow object (we see objects from which light is reflected -- no light, no reflected light, no seeing). I guess my opinion is at least a little based on my customary manner of hunting deer -- finding a good spot based on my knowledge of an area and waiting for deer to come to me. This method allows a lot of control in terms of selecting the conditions I cataloged above. If I were still hunting for deer, it may be less possible to select these desirable conditions, and then camo may provide an advantage.

But that is just my opinion. Y'all are welcome to your opinion and your camo. I've got camo clothes, but I prefer to wear drab olive military surplus wool trousers and red checked wool shirt when I go to the woods to hunt.

Last edited by Alsatian; 09-30-2009 at 04:47 AM.