HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Choosing a birddog breed????
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Wlfdg
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mustad
This is the second time you mention the breeding goals of the VDD. The breeding goals of the VDD are almost identical to those of the VPP (Verein Pudelpointer), the VDL (Verein Deutsch Langhaar), VDK (Verein Deutsche Kurzhaar) and others.

They are based on the use of the JGHV as the testing system along with various breed confirmation aspects. With the exception of the VDK, I believe the only difference between the goals and regulations of each club are in the confirmation aspects given the breed confirmation is not the same between each breed.

I think getting the FCI pedigree is a great idea (which is what you will get if you purchase a pup from any of these breed clubs) as it allows you to play in virtually any game you want (JGHV, NAVHDA, AF, NSTRA, CKC, AKC, etc...)

I bring this up only for you to realize that the breeding goals are really not a differentiator among the breeds.

The DD is a great breed and I have many friends that own them. The VDD is the largest of the JGHV based breed clubs anywhere; which is probably why you find breeders in your area. However, if you find that another breed is a better fit for you; you should be able to find a breeder or group of breeders with the same goal as those of the VDD.

Good luck.
I mean no offense, really.

In the quote you chose I laid out my reasons for choosing to focus on the VDD. I realize that there are other breeds/breeders focused on similar goals.

The close proximity is a big motivator. Bob Farris and Chris Clark are within driving distance but live clear across the state from me. Which is a 2 day drive really.

There are VDD breeders in Evanston and Rock Springs,WY. That's less than 6 hrs. There are 2 in Ogden,UT. That's under 6 hrs. from me as well.

It seems to me the VDD is a good fit. I'm not new to the dog world. Heck I'm not new to the bird dog world either. Just not current on all that is going on in it. The Langhaar has the same kind of coat as a Setter. Not good in powder snow. I've seen many shorthaired dogs like the Kurzhaar, shiver uncontrollably in our cold regardless what others say about it. I am a professional backcountry skier and my dogs go skiing with me. I'm sure the Pudelpointer is a great dog! It certainly has a great coat. Like I said above, Bob Farris is in Boise and Chris Clark is in McCall. That's 3-4 days round trip as opposed to 1 day round trip. I live on the Wyoming/Idaho border. Literally!

I truly appreciate your recommendations and your time.
Thank You