HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Changing/replacing stocks...
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 07:41 AM
Centaur 1
Nontypical Buck

I know that it all depends on the individual gun as to whether or not the nut comes loose easily, but my forearm has never been removed and the gun is 38 years old. Make sure that when you put it back together that you put some grease on the threads. Even though your getting a new stock you should fix the old one. Use a paint stripper to remove the old finish and just give the wood a little sanding. It really doesn't take much sanding, a light sanding with 180 or 220 grit is all you need. You probably have some dents in the wood and its easy to fix them. Spray the stock really good with water so it soaks in just a little. Then put a wet towel over the dent and then iron the towel. The moisture in the wood turns to steam when heated and the dent will iron right out. When your done with the dents just let the stock dry, it'll raise the grain in the wood so sand it again with the 220 grit paper. The finish that I prefer is Formsby's low gloss tung oil finish. It doesn't take any special techniques to put it on, you just wipe it on with a rag. Wait about twelve hours between coats and give it a total of eight to twelve coats.

Here's the one that I just finished.