HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Choosing a birddog breed????
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 07:29 AM
mustad
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wlfdg
I have narrowed it down to the VDD. I like their breeding goals very much. I tend to be very anti-AKC. The breeds versatility is very appealing as I enjoy rabbit, hare and bird hunting. The athleticism is a must since my dogs mountain bike and backcountry ski with me. There a quite a few breeders within a days drive of my home.
This is the second time you mention the breeding goals of the VDD. The breeding goals of the VDD are almost identical to those of the VPP (Verein Pudelpointer), the VDL (Verein Deutsch Langhaar), VDK (Verein Deutsche Kurzhaar) and others.

They are based on the use of the JGHV as the testing system along with various breed confirmation aspects. With the exception of the VDK, I believe the only difference between the goals and regulations of each club are in the confirmation aspects given the breed confirmation is not the same between each breed.

I think getting the FCI pedigree is a great idea (which is what you will get if you purchase a pup from any of these breed clubs) as it allows you to play in virtually any game you want (JGHV, NAVHDA, AF, NSTRA, CKC, AKC, etc...)

I bring this up only for you to realize that the breeding goals are really not a differentiator among the breeds.

The DD is a great breed and I have many friends that own them. The VDD is the largest of the JGHV based breed clubs anywhere; which is probably why you find breeders in your area. However, if you find that another breed is a better fit for you; you should be able to find a breeder or group of breeders with the same goal as those of the VDD.

Good luck.

Last edited by mustad; 09-29-2009 at 07:32 AM.