HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - lets clear things up
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 06:23 AM
fireman9_11
Spike

There is some good in modern technology and some bad. I saw where someone was down playing feeders and food plots. Let me start y saying this "The good lord blessed us with a way of feeding our family and the poor so give back". Native Americans had it right when they only took what they needed and lived in perfect harmony with the animals that fed them. In todays society its more of a take and not give back type mentality.

I plant food plots and I have deer feeders. Why? Well when I first started hunting on my grandfathers place the deer population had great numbers, their weights were 200lbs field dressed, and they were healthy. Then the farmers in area started to lose their farms so all peanut, soybean, corn, and milo farmers dried up. When that happened so did the deer population, the average weights were way down, and the health of the deer was very poor. In 2001 I started to manage my herd with mineral bricks, corn feeders, food plots, and so on from a friend that was testing stuff he had made to see if it would work. In 5 years time the weights went up, their health greatly improved, and we were seeing more an more bucks of all ages. In 2006 we start to feed protein feed with our corn in areas that no one was allowed to hunt and the growth, health, reproduction of our deer has been amazing. Mike has helped me out greatly and he has opened a store now to help others.

So in short we can mix modern technology with old traditions to find an even balance to help with the overall health and well being of our wildlife. We need to so our childrens childern will have something to enjoy.