HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - lets clear things up
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Yankee Doodle
Spike

Default If I may add an unrequested opinion

Having taken over 100 deer in my life, I feel that I have learned a thing or two about deer hunting. I have found that the most important pieces of equipment you can use are your feet, and your eyes.
You have about 11 months to kill between deer seasons. If you spend that time doing nothing more than gathering up a whole new bunch of equipment, there is a good chance that you will be a very well equipped failure when you actually get out in the deer woods.
I am truly blessed, in that I have constant access to my hunting area, and I make sure that I use those 11 months profitably. I walk the property on almost a daily basis. It's good exercise. While keeping in shape, I keep my eyes open, and I learn on a day to day basis what the critters are doing.
When deer season does open, I already know the locations of their bedding areas, feeding areas, and where they water.
Then, it simply becomes a matter of listening to Dad's advise.
I am in the fields 1 1/2 hours before sunrise, with my butt solidly planted on the ground, and I stay there till sundown. It works for me. In the last 15 years or so, my tags have all been filled by the third day of the season. I have yet to come home empty handed on opening day, usually within 2 hours of legal shooting time.
So, although I have no problem with folks using any and all hunting aids (as long as they are legal) I have never found the need to do anything more than I already do.
At my age, I no longer enjoy sitting out there in freezing weather for hours at a time. Using my Dad's system, I hardly ever have to. It works for me, and I am darn sure that it will work for anyone who can take the time to give it a try.
Urban dwellers don't have the time to do this. So, if they feel that they can improve their chances with top of the line gear, then they should go for it. Whatever works, works.
So, without trying to sound like an expert on anything, Lord knows I'm not, and with tougue in cheek, let me use another of Dad's favorite expressions. "Don't bother me with facts, my mind is made up."
Good luck this, and every season to all.

Last edited by Yankee Doodle; 09-27-2009 at 05:57 AM.