HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - lets clear things up
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 05:43 AM
sachiko
Little Doe Peep

Smile

I found this thread pretty interesting. I'm not an expert hunter by any means. My husband kind of is and we always hunt together. We stalk, which I think they call still-hunting. I can't figure that out but...

But I have read as much as I can about deer and their abilities and habits. Deer aren't really color blind, but they are color deficient. They can see blue which suggests that blue denim might not be the best choice on a hunt. Their eyes are on the side which means that they have a much wider field of vision than we do. Their sensory system is especially sensitive to movement. If we stand still, our presence doesn't really register.

They see "Hunter Orange" as a brilliant gray, but pink doesn't stand out for a deer the way it does for us. For safety, pink would be a better choice than "Hunter Orange" but there are probably only a very few guys who would want to wear pink. A pink camo pattern would likely work as well as natural colors since it all looks gray to a deer. Except for blue. Camo is kind of fun, makes you look like a bush. But bushes don't move around much.

When we bowhunt, I tie up my hair with a pink bandana, but being a girl, I'm comfortable with it.