HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Calling in elk question?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Muley669
Banned

Originally Posted by sclwald
Sounds like I am doing everything close to right. Just need to experience the rut a little more. I just need to find the elk that is willing. I tend to bugle as you said to locate. Once the herd bull stops bugling that is when I go on alert. I cow call when in close but have tried close in bugling and as you mentioned seems to push the herd farther.

Bugling seems to definitely bring in the satelite bulls more. I love the close encounters that archery brings. Next year I am going to do my best to draw a limited tag. Might have a better chance at calling and also less pressure. I live in one of the greatest states for elk and hope that I can close the deal sooner or later.

I live by the motto: "The more time you spend in the wilderness the more likely the chance of a lifetime will happen"

I have passed on more small bulls in rifle season than most people have seen in their lifetimes but archery I am not picky at all when making the first poke but still trying for the first.

Just trying to be a sponge since this is relatively new to me. Rifle VS Archery is like Rod fishing VS Fly Fishing.
The majority of bulls I call in are with the bugle. Unfortunately, the modern MO for calling elk is to locate with bugle, then switch to cow calling, thats ok, but not always the best method, and shouldn't be a standard MO. If you are having the bull shutup why your cow calling, he obviously isn't interested in what you are saying. If you are doing lost cow calls and he is answering, you need to imediatly switch away from lost cow calls, as you are not lost anymore and begin with increasingly excited calls etc. It is more complicated than one has time for on this board. In the times I have spent hunting near roads, the calls I've heard from 99% of the hunting public make no sense at all. I believe most people do not know what they are saying, or what the bulls are saying either, they just call and hope. Read Lipinskis' books, get elknuts video etc, and imploy tatics in the field. Never be afraid to engage a bull and try tatics, you manipulate the bull, or die trying, but calling and hoping is fatalistic.