HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mm Mag. Deer caliber?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 04:12 PM
streetglideok
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tf
I am the original author to the 7mm mag topic. I thank you all for the input. I have determined that the caliber, bullet type, and marksmanship are all needed for any situation. I believe the "problem" I was having is a result of the caliber being "too" big and "too" fast for med. game. I think most agree that the bullet may pass through without proper expansion, thus not leaving a good blood trail and obviously not knocking the animal down. I still intend on using it, but will keep in mind your opinions. Thanks again.
I would have to strongly disagree. Ive heard people say a 30-06 wasnt enough gun for deer simply because after shooting a buck, it ran off to never be found. Ive also heard a 300 win mag pushes bullets thru deer too fast to expand, and is too powerful. Neither opinion is correct, and it can be traced to armchair ballistics experts, or poor shooting skills.
The same 7mm bullet that goes into the magnum, also goes into the 7mm-08. The same 30-06 bullets go into the 300 win mag as well. The bullets in those calibers are made to expand on thin skinned game, end of discussion. The difference is, poorly built bullets at magnum speeds can cause them to blow apart and not to their job when hitting an animal. They expanded, but then kept going, as in turning its guts out. If you are hunting something under 100 yards, you dont need the big 7 mag, just a 30/30. If you are getting longer shots, then you have the perfect weapon for the job. I will personally bet a steak dinner, that is you put nosler partition or accubond bullets, 150-160 grain weight thru the shoulder of a whitetail, it will expand, it will drop, and you will fill a tag. If it doesnt, let me know where to send the money order for your steak,lol.

Last edited by streetglideok; 09-25-2009 at 06:23 PM.