HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Brand new Mathews Black Max 2 bare bow, what do I need to hunt?!?!
Old 09-25-2009, 04:20 AM
98Redline
Typical Buck

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers with my last post. Just trying to ensure you have all of the info before moving forward.

As for a rest, you will find it hard to beat a Whisker Biscuit. It simply is hands down the most reliable hunting rest ever made. If after you get more farmiliar with things you want to change to something else, go for it, but I still know many very good hunters who rely on the Biscuit....one less thing to worry about.

A good trigger on your release is paramount to keeping target panic at bay. Take a look at the wrist strap releases from Carter (Like Mike, Two Shot, Quickie, etc...) or the TruBall Short-N-Sweet. Their triggers are probably the best in the industry and break cleanly with no creep or takeup (like a good rifle trigger).

Sights are a funny thing. There are a ton of good ones out there and what you get really depends on how much you are willing to spend. I would initially pick a 3 pin sight (once again, you don't have to think about moving your slider when the moment of truth comes). Beyond that I am not sure where to direct you. I am partial to Spot Hogg sights, but they are mucho expensive.

The stabilizer you get is based very heavily on your particular shooting style. You want to pick one that will provide just a little bit of forward weight bias on the bow (bow will slowly roll away from you if your loosen your grip). The vibration absorption properties should be a secondary concern. As a start, the Sims S-Coil is a good value.