HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Instructions for tied nocking points
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2003, 09:24 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Instructions for tied nocking points

I' ll give it a shot Brandan--it' s lots easier if you see it done--kinda like tying shoes or twisting up a string.

There are two ways I know of doing it--the first I will explain is the method I prefer.

Wind your serving to within 1/2" -3/8" of where you want it to end. Place a finger at the end of your serving to keep it from coming loose, and pull off 14" -18" from the spool (don' t cut it). Make a cradle (looks like this: U ) and bring the serving tool up and between the U. Serve back toward the main serving, 12-14 times for nylon serving, 20-24 with #62 braid, Halo, or FF serving. Pull off an ample amount (still don' t cut it) to get the serving tool out of the way and let it hang (keeping fingers in place to keep it from coming loose where you have served). Take the U in your hand, and hand serve the remainder--as you serve more onto the main part, the small part will unwind. Pull it tight every 4 turns or so. When you have completely unwound the small part, wax the U. Grab the serving tool, keeping your other hand in the U to keep it from tangleing. Pull on the serving tool, taking the slack out of the U until there is none left (keeping your finger in as long as you can, or you will have a bird' s nest and have to start over). Pull it very snug, clip, and burn off the tag end--you are done!

Another way is to take a piece of serving thread or bowstring material, around 14" or so long, tie the ends together, and wax. When you are near the end of your serving, lay the loop you just made on your string (knot end laying on the main serving. Serve over the loop 12-14 times, leaving a couple inches of the un-knotted end sticking out. Clip the serving thread off, leaving a few extra inches sticking out. Stick the end through the loop, grab the knotted end with pliers, and pull the tag end of your serving under where you just served over your loop, clip and burn.

Hope this makes sense--it' s easier done than said!

Chad