HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - thompson pa hunter flintlock .50 cal
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2003, 04:13 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: thompson pa hunter flintlock .50 cal

The reason I went with the .54 caliber 25+ years ago was because some of the states out west had elk hunting restrictions and would not allow the .50 caliber. I do not think that is the case anymore. Also I bought the T/C Renegade as a kit (for $129.00). It has the double set triggers. To be honest, of the two calibers, I prefer the .54 caliber.

I can prove that a .54 caliber roundball at 80 yards will shoot through one deer and kill a second deer standing behind the first one. Not something I was real proud of, but I had the tags to cover the mistake, and I do mean mistake. I was putting my binoculars aways (using a T/C peep site) before I made my shot (wanted to look at the buck' s horns) and never saw the doe walk up behind the buck when my head was down, putting the glasses away. The round ball went through the first and broke the back of the second and knocked her flat too.

For Elk hunting I load a 426 grain HP Buffalo Bullet on 100 grains of Pyrodex Select, and it will handle that job. Although I have wondered if the 300 grains I make from my LEE mold would do the same job. I guess I will have to find out...

If I were going to choose between a Renegade or a Hawkins made by Thompson Center, I would take the Hawkins. My friend has a Hawkins in .54 caliber and the rifle is much more comfortable to shoot when loaded hot. He also made his from a kit, and that is one of the most beautiful rifles I have had the pleasure to handle and shoot.

I do want to state, my Traditions Woodsman with a 1-66 twist barrel in a .50 caliber is all I need to take a whitetail. What ever Bob chooses, he will be hooked after his first day of shooting them.... yet if I were going to use it for Elk and bear too, I would go with the .54 caliber. You can order any shooting supplies you need through many of the sports catalogs.