HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Maine' s moose may be in danger.....
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Split-Hoof

Default Maine' s moose may be in danger.....

There has been an uproar in northern Maine recently about the number of moose-related automobile accidents. 4 deaths so far this year have fueled residents' concerns about there being " too many moose" . People are pressing the MDIFW to do something and do it in a hurry.

While it is tragic whenever a casualty results from a collision with a moose, I cannot understand why people want to blame the moose. Drivers should be aware of the presence of moose, and adjust their driving to remain safe. Accidents do happen, and can' t always be avoided. It is just something that drivers have to accept when they get behind the wheel.

Some of the remarks made at a recent meeting on the subject leave me shaking my head in disbelief:

" Why do we care about moose?"

" If we see them in the roadway, why can' t we just kill them?"

" Who cares about the moose?"

" Human life is more important."

Would the people making these remarks like to have all animals killed, as well as drunk drivers, elderly drivers, and teenage drivers, all of which cause more fatalities than moose do?

While I have been applying for years to draw a moose permit with no success so far, I don' t want to see more permits given out if it is going to seriously impact the moose herd. 2,500 permits were given out this year, but it seems many more might be available next year if things keep going as they are. The moose population is estimated at around 30,00 animals currently. I would hate to see Maine' s moose go the way of the wolf and be completely eradicated from the state. They are an important part of the Maine forest, and should be managed in such a way.

Split-Hoof
Moosetown, Maine