HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bucks of Tecomate El Cazador Ranch
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 06:43 AM
ipscshooter
Boone & Crockett

They give names as a way to recognize which deer they're talking about from trail cam pics or from seeing deer while scouting. They let the deer grow to 6+ years, so, they sometimes see the deer many times through the course of its life. It's his ranch, so he can be out there scouting every day. That's why he knows where they'll be (generally). There are bucks out there that he'll see once on a trail cam, and then hunt it for weeks Or he'll see it as a 5 year old and give it another year hoping he'll be bigger as a 6 year old, and then hunt that specific buck. The guys on the ranch I hunt give names to some of the bucks as a way for folks to remember certain deer they'd like for their kids or guests to shoot under their "management" guidelines.

So... food plots are no different than feeders? Please explain that one. How is it any different from someone hunting a cornfield, or a stand of oak trees.

Putting in a management program, and abiding by it is "not hunting"? Sorry dude, but that's just laughable. His place is 3000 acres so it "might as well be high fenced"??? One of the more ridiculous statements I've heard. And, I hang out in the political forum... where there are Democrats...

Somebody mentions high fences around here and folks go off. High fences isn't "real" hunting. Might as well go to the zoo. That's a cage even if it's around a million acres. Blah blah blah. Well, this guy's land isn't high fenced.

Somebody mentions feeders and folks go off again. Baiting isn't "real" hunting. It changes the deer's feeding patterns since they only go off at certain times. The food isn't available 24/7 like a corn field. Well... Food plots are available 24/7. They're not restricted to a 30' x 30' area like a feeder. And, from what I've seen, he doesn't even hunt his food plots. He hunts senderos and hopes to see deer chasing does or while in transition from bedding areas to feeding areas.

This one really gets me... "He passed up a 150 so he could shoot something bigger. That's not hunting." Good grief. The place I hunt has more deer than you can shake a stick at. I pass up dozens of bucks every year, hoping to have one walk by my stand that meets our lease's management guidelines. There are reasons that I have issues about the way most hunting is done in Texas i.e. There's precious little "public land" so the vast majority of hunting is on private land, where you're pretty much restricted to hunting in blinds with feeders. Not much else you can do if you've got a 1500 acre lease with 10-15 guys hunting it every weekend. Can't really do any spot and stalk hunting when it's that crowded... So I suspect that most Texas deer hunting more closely resembles deer sniping. On Morris's show, he seems to do a lot more spot and stalk hunting than what I could ever do on our lease. And, contrary to what was said above, I've never seen him hunt at a feeder. I believe I've seen him show trailcam photos from a mineral feeder, but, I don't think he hunts them.

I'm hearing an awful lot of envy here... Heck, I'm jealous. I'd love to be able to hunt someplace with an effective management program and limited hunting pressure. But, I'm on a lease where the guys seem happy to manage for 105" eight points...