HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st Elk hunt - Unit 54 CO
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 04:08 AM
asines
Spike

To tip on the other questions you had had you said you are leaving Oct 9th for 1st season it opens on the 11th and goes through the 15th. You need at least 3-4 days to get used to the thin air otherwise you get headaches and burned out easy. I am leaving on Oct 5th and have a bull tag for Unit 67.
We're going for 2nd season....opens on the 17th. We'll have a week to get settled in. Lots of scouting, hiking, and fishing for the 1st week!

As far as your 257 Weatherby I have one but it is a little small for elk you want a .30 caliber I shoot a 300 Weatherby and take a 340 Weatherby for a back up gun make sure you take a back up incase something happens to your main gun but if you have to take the 257 Weatherby go buy Barnes TSX bullets that is what I am shooting out of my 300 Weatherby and they hold 98 percent of their bullet weight and will go through bone as well.
Yeah, it's a little small, but a well placed shot will go a long way. I plan on having something larger next time I go out.

Are you staying at Three Rivers Resort or Almont Resort I have stayed at both lots of times and Three Rivers is alot nicer as well as it has a place to hang your game when you get it and has a general store as well.
I think it's the Almont Resort