HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NYB/NYSMLA proposal
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 AM
Steve863
Nontypical Buck

Well, I think this is typically the way things work in NYS. You have these so called "sportsman's" groups going to the DEC and they somehow make it look as if they are the voice of ALL hunters in NYS. Same thing happened with the antler restrictions that were proposed for some new WMU this past spring. It was a few "sportman's" groups that were making the most noise about it. I hunt in one of those WMU's and surely no one asked me my opinion about it before it was proposed or anytime during the decision process. Getting back to the issue in this post. I don't know. I think there would be too much pressure on the deer if you had a firearms youth hunt and then a muzzleloader week just before the regular gun season. I think if there is going to be a muzzleloader season where in-lines were allowed then it would be best to have it in mid to late october. Maybe a 3 or 4 day season covering a weekend would be sufficient for this. I don't know if I like the idea of a youth hunt either. Plenty of grown-ups would be popping deer with a kid in tow. A kid could just as easily hunt during the regular season. Really NO need for another special season.