HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st Elk hunt - Unit 54 CO
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 04:19 PM
elkmadness
Spike

Default Unit 54 Elk Hunt

Hey Newbie,
Good luck on your elk hunt once you go once you are hooked no turning back I went my first year when I was 20 and am now 36 I started in Unit 54 & 55. I have hunted the area you are talking about in Unit 54 the best spots in Unit 54 is Flattop and Red Mountain off of Highway 135 and Bruss Creek off of Highway 50 is probably the best the only bad thing about Unit 54 is not alot of places to hunt I did shoot 3 bulls in Unit 54 but Unit 55 is way better if you decide to go again let me know and I can give you really good areas in Unit 55 I have shot 5 bulls there in 8 years but now I hunt in Unit 67 because it is a draw only unit and easier to hunt than Unit 54 or 55 and has bigger bulls in it because it is draw only.

To tip on the other questions you had had you said you are leaving Oct 9th for 1st season it opens on the 11th and goes through the 15th. You need at least 3-4 days to get used to the thin air otherwise you get headaches and burned out easy. I am leaving on Oct 5th and have a bull tag for Unit 67.

As far as your 257 Weatherby I have one but it is a little small for elk you want a .30 caliber I shoot a 300 Weatherby and take a 340 Weatherby for a back up gun make sure you take a back up incase something happens to your main gun but if you have to take the 257 Weatherby go buy Barnes TSX bullets that is what I am shooting out of my 300 Weatherby and they hold 98 percent of their bullet weight and will go through bone as well.

Good idea with the Camelback I take one as well and go through 100 ouches of water twice a day and food I pretty much eat alot of protein bars, beef jerky, and trail mix you will need alot of carbs out there.

A far as bear spray you dont need it and as far as boots I have three pair of Danners they are awesome on the steeper terrian where alot of other boots will slip or they only last one season. As far as a GPS I have a Garmin Oregon with the topo maps built in its great you just lock in where you are or where you have seen or shot elk and then buy good maps from Gene Taylors in Gunnison and put them on the maps as well for future years. I have all my spots marked that I have hunted and seen elk and where I have shot them as well for the last 16 years.

Are you staying at Three Rivers Resort or Almont Resort I have stayed at both lots of times and Three Rivers is alot nicer as well as it has a place to hang your game when you get it and has a general store as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions otherwise good luck and if you need any tips in the future just let me know dont forget to take a good pair of binos and a spotting scope as well and some form of a tripod or bipod is crucial.

Take Care.