HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team November New Moon Thread (9)
Old 09-20-2009, 04:32 AM
YooperMike
Nontypical Buck

Got a couple sets hung yesterday. Donated a couple pints to the mosquitos in the process too. If the sign (tracks, droppings, trails) is any indication, things are looking good. I can't believe how high the grass and undergrowth is this year without the cows being around, its much improved over last year. They are tearing up the acorns that are falling right now and one stand is hung at the intersection of some trails that lead to an oak flat, I'm maybe 50 yards out of the oaks. I contemplated hanging right in the thick of them, but my entry and exit would have been right through the middle of them, so i opted to move off the edge a little. This is a spot I really looked at last year, but there are no trees I could get my climber into safely, they are either real small, or just gnarly, but with hang-ons, problem solved.

The second spot is a dynamite spot from last year. Its a funnel that all but one buck that was cruising during the rut used to cross a deep ravine. If that pattern holds up for this year, I should have a good opportunity to get it done from that spot. The ravine is nasty as ever, so that funnel should still be heavily used. Gotta head back out today to do some trimming but then i'll be out of there until 10/2/09 when I can hunt the first time. I'm excited about the oak stand for my first evening hunt. Need to draw some blood early on this year!