HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How not to call elk
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Blackelk
Typical Buck

Default How not to call elk

I've been up in the high country of Colorado trying to find one of those elusive 30" mule deer. Well anyway I've been keying in on people calling elk in the woods. So here's a little example of exactly not how to call elk.

I was up in front of two guys coming up the canyon. First they'd call and then trash some tree's with sticks. Sound pretty good huh? The first time they did it I even picked a spot and watched to see if I could see the bull. I saw them alright in mossy oak walking in the open through the grass. Then from 400yds away I heard them talking. I was like you got to be kidding me. Well every 10 minutes or so they'd bugle and thrash around. Then walk out into the opening's and look around while talking in loud enough voices I could almost understand the words from hundreds of yards away from me. I continued to keep moving up the canyon as they expertly called elk and exposed themselves while talking.

I got my entertainment for the morning. I'm sure glad I wasn't elk hunting I probably would have been a bit upset at the moment. Little did they know elk were moving up in front of me all the way to the top of the canyon in the dark timber. I did get to see the bull in that bunch he was a nice 5x6, he had seven cows with him. Oh by the way the elk didn't make a peep. They just quietly walked over the mountain.

I ask a logical question to most. Why do you think the elk have moved their main rut into the two and half weeks in between seasons?