HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bow hunting in a ground blind
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 11:29 AM
minnesotadeer
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by buckmasterRob
Anyone bow hunt out of a ground blind im talking the ones like a tent I have the turret blind set up in some standing oaks for the november gun season but I would like to shoot a few during the archery season only problem is I havent tried shooting a bow out of it I usualy use a climber but if I could get by with sitting up in the blind it sure would beat carrying that dang climber up the hill.
A blind CAN be just as effective as a stand if you do it right. Obviously, the first thing you need to do is have it in a spot you can get a close shot on deer. The next thing is to make sure it's in a spot where you won't get busted. A place that's not obvious, or right in the middle of a well-traveled trail, etc. Between 20-25 yards away from where you intend to make the shot is perfect. Next brush it in well so it "sinks" into the native landscape. Finally, don't have all the windows open but rather a few at the most, just what you need to see the deer coming and to make a shot. One of the easiest ways to get busted is if you have a window open in front of you and behind you and the deer silhouttes you. In addition, it will help to wear all black if the interior of your blind is black or at least try to match the camo of the exterior of the blind.

One other pointer, no mechanical, no matter what the manufacturer says, will shoot well through the mesh windows. So if you're using mechanicals, don't take the mesh windows down completely, but rather trim a narrow strip, say 3-4 inches through the mesh carefully using a razor blade. This will minimize the black hole effect but leave a good opening to shoot out of. If you are using fixed heads, use the mesh, it helps immensely.