HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Blind grunting? Good or bad?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Rob/PA Bowyer
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by mauser06
i wont grunt when i can see one...i'll wait till hes about out of sight before i THINK about it...same thing with turkeys...if i can see them, i aint callin!

i also bling grunt and rattle when the seeking and chasing starts heating up...ive seen decent success with it...had a couple charge in like you see on TV...each year its getting better as our herd is balancing out and the rutt is getting a little more intense...
I'm exactly the opposite. After 20 years of calling whitetails I usually ONLY call when I do see them and only when I know they are not coming on their own. This way I can watch their reaction and KNOW if they heard me and what they may do. Last years Halloween buck came by at 75 yards, the first grunt he never heard or at least didn't react to it. If I couldn't see him, I wouldn't have known to up the call, be a little more aggressive. The second grunt stopped him in his tracks. The next one reeled him in to 8 yards for the shot.

Blind calling can produce but I wonder how many circle down wind and bust you before you ever even know it. I prefer not to do blind calling (most of the time) and understand why some do and produce with it.