HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st Elk hunt - Unit 54 CO
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 04:11 AM
asines
Spike

Originally Posted by RedRiverHntr
I would rely on the guys in your group that have been before. Not just for the information on the area, but for what you need to take as well.
Under Armour works just like the other base layers that are made of polyester and spandex. NO better, no worse. Microfiber anything (used to be called polyester) but now a whole generation of younger folks will swear that UA is better than having an extra thumb. But the cheaper versions will do the exact same thing. My son says the compression of UA helps. To which I say Okay, buy a size too small of the cheaper version. Same thing. (Stepping down from soap box.....)

Layers is best in the West. Could be hot and cold and all in the same day even. If you are cold natured, nothing wrong with nice parka and bibs. But being able to take them off during the day is essential and then you might have to tote them around. You will figure it out real quick. But since you are returning to cabin at night you can adjust daily. No biggie...

Good luck.
I definitely think the compression aspect of UA works real well in other applications, but I've yet to try in a cold weather application. BUT......$100 for a set......not so sure that it makes THAT much of a difference. Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by Magic
You didn't mention what daypack that you will be using.
Electrical tape for your rifle muzzle.
I split a black plastic garbage bag length ways for a "snow" rifle cover.
Take it slow and climb "one step at the time".

Good Luck
It's a Cabela's model:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...770&hasJS=true

Good idea on the tape.

"One step at a time"........that's what I'm hearing!

Originally Posted by longknife12
Start NOW climbing steps....preferably with your back pack! Air gets kinda thin up there....just pace yourself and drink a lot of water! Good luck and good hunting!
Dan
I've done a combination of things. I've hiked with a fully loaded pack a few times as well as regular routines of sprinting/jogging.