HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recapp of 20 years of bear hunting In Mn and this years hunt (so far). Long read
Old 09-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Schultzy
Giant Nontypical

Here's a few pictures from at camp and our baiting sites....

My tent

Our practice target

Our oven and BSing place at night. Food don't taste any better then over a fire!!

My recurve that didn't have any arrows In the quiver yet. Was checking over all of my arrows and BH's to make sure they were good to go for the hunt.

Our bath tub, damn she was cold too!!!

One of our bait sites. We tie a biodegradable sack In a tree with meat In It so the bear will crawl the tree some to see what size of bear we have hitting the bait. Below that you can see the logs all staked In a nice pile, there's meat and goodies In there. For the most part bear are the only ones able to move bigger logs around, that's the reason we use them. Coon and such try to but aren't very successful at It. Usually the logs we use are bigger then these but there wasn't to many big logs to choose from In the woods here.

This Is the bait that my dad shot his bear out of. In the second picture here you can see the trail the bears were using coming In and out of the bait. That trail was actually made by my dad and another guy last year when he shot his bear. It was there dragging out trail, bear used It this year.

Look closely and you can see a metal hang on stand In the tree, we make our own stands.

Here's dad In the tree after we hung the stand. Thumbs up he says!!

Here are some random pictures that I took while coming In and out of the woods checking bear baits while bear hunting this year.

Typical Mn northern woods. Try spotting and stalking In this stuff, won't happen here or anywhere where we bear hunt. This Is actually somewhat open, you can see about 15 yards here. Try getting an arrow through there.

Here's some bear sign, a dug up ant hill from a bears front foot. This Is actually across the road from where our camp Is (1/2 mile away or so). We always put a camp bait up no matter where we've hunted through out the years, always thought It would be cool to shoot a bear close to camp.