HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A Few From Southern Illinois
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 05:44 AM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fastetti
UncleMatt, You ever hunted Crab Orchard for deer? I went to SIU for undergrad and hunted if for rabbits and quail back in the good ol' days. Was wondering how the deer are over there now. Hunted over in Saline last year and saw some nice bucks. Stayed in Marion though, nice little town. It has changed A LOT since the last time I was there in 2000. Carbondale might as well be a whole different city too. Can't get back on the property I hunted in Saline this year (they aren't allowing any deer hunting this year) might try Shawnee if I think it may be worth it.

Katerax, its kinda of a joke on this website, if you have big deer where you hunt, you always say, "No deer here, only spikes and does" Just a way to jokingly tell people to not try it out. People say that Iowa and Pike county have no deer either so we should not ever try there. Id also watch about saying someone is High, the mods are starting to crack down on this. Just some friendly advice from a fellow S. Illinois hunter.
I have never personally hunted Crab Orchard just scouted there some. I've pretty much always hunted private land but every year there are always some real fine deer taken out of the Orchard. There is so property there and it is such good habitat that there will always be good deer there. Just a matter of putting yourself in the same place at the same time. I personally don't care for CO's high number of hunters. I used to work with a guy who's buddy was shot there.

Yes Marion has changed. It is kinda a fast growing town for S IL. It is nothing like it was as a kid. We still have family there.

There are a few real nice hardly used public areas down by us in Johnson county. My nephew had a monster buck come in on him at one of them but couldn't get a shot on him.