HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - i need some help please
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 05:40 PM
iSnipe
Nontypical Buck

It's great you got the huntin' fever! After 30 years I'm still stoked to get out there and see what happens.

Here's one tip about finding bedding areas:

Be sure to have the wind in your favor. Also, try to do this when the ground is damp or there is a slight wind to hide your sounds and smell.

You're going to bust right in where you "think" a bedding area might be... or "sneak" in I should say. LOL! The plan is sneak into the area being almost invisible. What you WANT to have happen is move deer right out of their beds; at the last moment. If you enter the area making noise and having your scent drift ahead of you while there, they will move out long before you get there and you may not even know there were deer there. When you do it quietly, with the wind in your favor, you can hopefully get a visual confirmation what is there.

Do this in the middle of the day when they are suppose to be bedded. If you do it too early in the morning or later in the afternoon, they may likely be up and moving around already... especially if the weather is to their liking... like colder temps, cloudy, slight rain, storm front moving in, etc.

It helps to be camouflaged too. Pretend you're hunting them!

This plan not only will get you visual evidence what is there, but it will get you the practice to still-hunt deer. Still hunting is really sneak-hunting slow through the woods.

If you really want to go all out and have even more fun, take a camera with you and try and get a picture of a deer while it's bedded!

Take care and have fun!

iSnipe

P.S. "Make sure you don't tramp around that small piece of property too much or they will either move elsewhere or become even more cautious and move under the cover of darkness."