HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - i need some help please
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 02:14 PM
iSnipe
Nontypical Buck

hunt.for.fun,

Sorry to hear your father's not into it like you. However, maybe with time he'll come around and start to be curious.

I wanted to add that I see a lot of hunting videos and often see hunters from Alabama use food plots. While I haven't done it or know of anyone who does around here, I did want to say that I hope you learn about the deer's habits. Once you become more familiar with their habits, you can learn methods that can help you get them more efficiently.

The mainstay of deer hunting is knowing their feeding and bedding areas, the trails that connect them and predominant wind direction. If you know these, then 1/2 the battle is won! Learn to recognize a feeding area by how the plants are eaten and the droppings left behind and learn bedding areas by the amount of beds and thickness of the cover within that area.

By spending as much time as you can in the woods observing them, you become that more educated on how to outwit them. You learn to be more aware of the wind, how to camo yourself and how much movement and noise you can get away with. It also doesn't hurt to use a few calls to see their reactions.

Just wanted to say this so you don't think you have to be totally reliant on using food plots.

Best of luck out there this year!

iSnipe