HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - An old family secret...think Im gonna try
Old 09-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Hoyt_Viper
Typical Buck

Default An old family secret...think Im gonna try

My uncle has been hunting the Washington National forest for decades. I bet there arent alot of persimmon trees around in those parts, but he told me when he hunts in range of ag fields or rural homes and estates that usually have a few apple, pear, persimmon, etc. trees which allows for his oportunity to try a little trick.

Since I have an abundance of persimmons on my propoerty, and they are just coming into the edible stage (nice and pink and squooshy, I have collected about two bucket fulls. I have put them in a grinder with vanila added. Once almost in a liquid form, I freeze them in sandwich bags. On the day (morning of the hunt) I will dump them out of the bag, still frozen and place along known trails, prefereably in sight of a stand to at least get them to stop and check them out.

I did this last year, and set them out at night so they would be thawed and giving a nice sweet aroma near the pile. in most cases they were gone before I got there and set up, this time Im gonna set them along the trails as Im going in and climbing my stand.

Anyone ever heard of this, and has anyone ever had any luck with them. I sure choose these over "buck Bombs", as it will more or less slow them down to take a smell or a meal while I set my pin on the shoulder.

My Uncle has killed two that he can point at the "persimmon bomb", so if it works I will pass it on. You will need the persimmons though. I also believe it will take their senses away from scent control to think about desert from eating all night when they come upon them.

I know you think Im nuts, but something sure ate mine last year before I could get into the woods. Could of been raccoons, or other critters, but I know deer have a soft side for persimmons, especially with the vanilla mixed in with it.

Patentable?