HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Rut Nutz Thread (27)
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 08:24 AM
triggertrav
Fork Horn

We are officially on the board - but in 2nd place. Score came in pretty close to what i was expecting - 110.25. I was sitting on a little slough, probably 20 yards across and 40 yards long, that was completely surronded by scrub oaks. It was Sunday night and the temps were close to 90 that afternoon. i had sat all evening and about 10 minutes before sunset i picked him up trying to sneak thru. He was on a main trail heading right for me and i did catch a glimpse of his head, just enough to know he was a buck. He was heading right for my lane so i drew and waited for him to show. He came in at about 15 yards and i breifly scanned his headgear and he was enough for me. Gave him a little "baaaa" and he stopped in his tracks. Second later my arrow hit the mark, i had never felt more confident about my shot placement before. His back arched, he hoped straight up, came down on his side and ran like the wind. In a matter of seconds i heard him crash and i knew the deal was over. i gave him some time and tried to settle my nerves, but within no time i had does all over me. It was starting to get dark and i wanted to get a locate on him before heading back to the truck, so i scared off the does and walked right to where i expected him to be laying. And there he was. Great night on stand and it had been 10 years since i took a nice buck - i was due.

As far as the rest of the trip, we didn't see the numbers of deer that we were hoping for, but when we did see deer chances are that it was a buck. Mine was the only buck taken, but are hoping to get back out there the end of October.

Out of our group we saw two over the 160 mark, but nothing close to shoot at. I think i was the only one with an oppurtunity at a nice buck. And the night after i got my deer - i beautiful 8 point(around the 140 mark) at 30 yards. Tried to get some pictures, but i must have been shaken to bad because they are all fuzzy.

Overall, the temps were high and the wind wouldn't stop blowing but it was a great trip. Any trip with good buds is gonna be great though. Now just waiting for the MN season to open.

Good luck all!

Last edited by triggertrav; 09-13-2009 at 08:27 AM.