HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I need a gun and on a budget for deer hunting
Old 09-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Folically Challenged
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by thepopeis1
ok so I am new to hunting and this will be my fist year deer hunting

I already have a remington 870 shot gun. so I could just get a slug barrel but my cousin has one and he says it is very inaccurate (mosberg riffled scoped combo) and hes tried different slugs

so I think I will be better off getting a riffle
any suggestions

what caliber do I need my grandpa was saying I need a 30-06 but It seams that other people use smaller ammo

I was thinking remington 770 (cabellas has a scope combo 30-06 for $359 after rebate) I know its has some bad reviews but the people that own then seam to like them. and I would only use it to get a dear a year and make sure it sighted in thats all the shooting It would do.

thats my thoughts what do you guys think
You've gotten some sage advice thus far. Price certainly isn't everything, and shopping around will surely find you a much better rifle than the 770 you're considering.

If you CAN use a rifle (and aren't in a shotgun-only state or portion of a state) then the '06 would serve you well. Of course, so would any of the other cartridges from .25-'06 and up.
I can shoot a .30-'06 all day long without a problem. But I can shoot smaller cartridges better. That's just how it is, and I'd wager it's true for everyone. If you're hunting only deer, there's nothing a .30-'06 will do that the others won't, save for punching your shoulder more every time you press the trigger.

If you must use a shotgun, don't fret over accuracy. Any gun that shoots under 4" at 100 yards will kill a deer, and most slug guns will do far better than that.

Most importantly, though, I'd suggest that it's not in your best interest (nor that of your quarry) to be a "sight-in and 1 shot" shooter when you're new to hunting. You'll need to do lots of shooting to find a load that your rifle likes, and to be confident of where those shots will go at different yardages. Once that's done, you'll need to practice shooting a lot from field positions (offhand, kneeling, sitting, prone...), since most hunting spots don't have benches set up.

The more shooting you do, the more accurate you'll be, and the less the chances are of your wounding & losing game. After firearm safety, this is the most important part of hunting.

FC