HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - shot a rock
Thread: shot a rock
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 09:34 PM
TFOX
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by drockw
You need to get a shop going and start tuning/coaching. Ill spread the word

There would be sooooo many more well geared/prepared hunters around here it would be unbelievable. I dont think there is a shop around here(seriously) that knows nearly as much as you about advanced tuning or arrows for that matter.

Lots of people would be shooting A LOT better imo...

I had trouble convincing a guy the other day that a 400 spine beaman at 27" was too weak for his 28.5"DL OMEN at 67#'s!!! He kept on telling me that that was what the chart said, and asked why I would disagree with the chart lol! The fastest/hardest cammed IBO bow made and hes shooting 400spine arrows out of it lol! A rage wouldnt even impact the same as his fp's. He finally gave in to it, and said he would be getting new arrows to overcome the severe weakness of his setup. He also didnt wanna drop any DW...

Anways...
It took me 3-4 years with this guy to get him convinced enough to make some changes.He has always killed deer,and nice deer I might add.He is the guy that buys an ebay bow a week or 2 before season and calls me to get it setup(after his last ebay bow that had bent limb pockets and a cracked limb,he quit that).He changes bows about every year but won't buy a top end bow.It wasn't untill last year that I convinced him he need atleast a 30" draw.He usually just shot whatever draw length the bow had that he bought that year.

He about crapped when I told him AFTER he shot my bow that the bow I recommended to him was just like mine except a magnesium riser and a little shorter.(Turbohawk)

I usually don't advise 30" shooters to shoot bows this short but he always shoots really short bows and does pretty well with them.Plus I knew he wasn't going to go for a high end priced bow.

It is one thing to know what you are talking about,it is something else to convince someone they "need" to make changes,especially if they have been killing deer.