HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Michigan hunters. Early rut or, not early rut?
Old 09-04-2009, 09:57 AM
rh160kid
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PSEposter19
For all of you that hunt in Michigan. With the weather being as strange and cold so early, do you think this will play a big part in this years rut? I hope it comes a little early, I would love to see the rut start during bow season. But as you all know we will probably be in our tree stands sweating and being eaten alive by mosquitos, again. What is your bet for timing of the rut?
Weather does not have anything to do with triggering the start of the rut. The rut is triggered by the 2nd full moon after the autumnal equinox-hence its called the hunters or rutting moon!! This year in the northern latitudes that moon falls on Nov 2 (maybe 3- cant remember off the top of my ahead). Temp. and weather can effect deer movement during the rut but has NOTHING to do with actually triggering the rut. 3-4 days before that full moon and the 8-9 days after are days that you dont want to miss being in the woods-all day if possible.