HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A management scenaro for you guys...
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 07:22 AM
WildlifeBiologist402
Spike

Before I state what I would like to say.Let me give you my background on my knowledge,I am only 20 years old,but i have been working with state biologist and the fish and wildlife since i was 6 years old.Its been my life.I got a Bacehlors Degree in wildlife biology from UNL,and im working on getting my Masters right now,then after that I will be getting a PHD in Wildlife BIology from CSU. I have been working every summer since i was 16 as a Conservation Technician a step under a wildlife biologist,im there right hand man you could say.BobS made a great point,if you have a huge buck to do ratio,which most likely is the cause,cause in most areas that is the case,then you need to not only harvest mature and unmature bucks you need to shoot alot of does,my reccomendation to you is QDM.Have you just been a trophy hunter during the years you hunt this and let the small ones go?..im sure thats the case.Well as you let the small bucks go they get bigger ofcourse,and they breed,which MORE genetics get spread throughout your deer herd,im sure with the surrounding properties the forkhorns and no brows,is that also the case for them?...I always have people ask me do you only shoot 4.5-to older deer,no that is not the case at all,I may see a 1.5-2yr old buck with a bad deformed rack,and in most cases you can tell if that deer hurt his rack and he might shed it and come out of it the next year,or hes going to spread bad genetics,so what do i do if its gonna be bad genetics(the matthews solocam does the trick everytime buddy)but i will quit making this so long and if you have any ?'s you can messasge me on this forum or email me on here,Im always willing to help anyone out..Sorry its so long.