HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .270 enough... ?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Silver_Wolf
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jeep2000
after predator hunting with my 22-250 i would like to move up to large game. i wanted a caliber that could take hogs to elk and wanted to know if the .270 was enough to fill this void. i spend alot of time at the range and handload so wanted a caliber that was fun and accurate at distance to shoot with a pretty flat trajectory if possible. would a .308 be better for the game i'd like to take? any other suggestions? people also mention 30-06? thanks.

Take a look at the 338 Federal. Its my new pet round. Mild recoil, decent range to reach out there and touch something. But if are gonna handload I'd go with the 338 Win Mag. Its plenty enough medicine for any North American game. I am biased towards them. But to answer your question yes a 270 will work, but I would recommend a larger caliber if your going to buy a new gun.

Shot placement most important thing. And if you go after elk, premium bullets perform so much better than a standard bullet. Barnes TSX would be my choice, but Nosler Partition, the Winchester Fail safe's are some others I'd suggest if they shoot better in your new rifle.