HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Field dressing a bear?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 05:11 AM
4evrhtn
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rem700man
lonewolf:
i would hate to mess that mount up,,,if i can find the website that is somewhat of a "how to" when it comes to caping and caring for a bear prior to taxidermy,,,i will post it on here for ya. Good Luck
Field dress the bear like a deer except not from butt to ribcage. Make the incision only large enough to remove what you need to from it to make it a little lighter dragging or carrying. For rugs the bear is split up the belly and inside of the legs finishing at the neck about 6" below the chin. For a full mount the bear is slit down the spine to just above the tail and then the hide is peeled off the back, tail then hips and rear legs followed by the ribs and shoulders, the legs are skinned down to the wrist/ankle and then the meat and bone are cut leaving the only body part attached to the hide being the head and foot bones. This is alot of work for someone who doesn't do it often. Most Taxidermists prefer you bring the bear in whole (minus innards) and then they can skin it faster but more importantly it will be done right. I skin many bear out a year... trust me it is not my favorite thing to do and it's worth a couple extra bucks to have the Taxidermist do it for you and reduce the mess and hassle for yourself.