HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 243 big enough for whitetails?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 03:18 AM
Edcyclopedia
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I'll call BS on that...

You can word it anyway you want...Since 1980 it's the only centerfire I have owned and I've killed dang near 200 deer with it...We kill 40-50 deer a year on our farms and have done so for about 25 years...I've seen plenty of deer killed and skinned plenty more...This guide didn't know his butt from first base...
There are just as many deer lost with .270s as .243s, no difference in how fast a deer dies with the same shot and similiarly constructed bullets...

While we are at it, I have evenings where I'm skinning deer shot with .308, 7mm-08, .270s, .280s, .30-06, .260...When you throw them in the pile you can't tell what killed them, nothing but blood and guts...

.270 for bear??? I've killed 6 with my .243, they get in my peanuts and I'll kill them...Does as well as anything (if you put it in the right place)...
I heard another story from the camp cook that year (southerners have great stories). One year he had a deer eating his tree so he shot the Doe with his pellet gun to shoo her away. Well the pellet evidently hit behind the shoulder instead of hitting the shoulder and had a nice stream of blood coming from the Doe's chest. So I guess a pellet gun could take out a deer too??...

nchawkeye - I don't doubt your claims and nor should you doubt mine. I'm simply stating what I believe to be a good example of experience from a well known outfitter in the pan handle. A dead deer is a dead deer and .243 have killed and will kill a lot more deer, that wasn't my point. My point is a well placed shot!

There's a reason I take my .30-06 with 220 grain bullets when I stalk deer, as they don't sit still long enough to shot them like hunting a field or "controlled" shot. Yes, I shoot them running if it's the right condition and relize I want them immobile ASAP, so bigger IS better in this scenario...

My last comment, which was made by the shooter and the only deer that got away that year in TX, was from the individual himself. He said "I'll be switching back to my.280 next year. Now in saying this, I never asked what type of bullet he was shooting other than the weight, which If I recall correctly was an 85 grain bullet (too light in my eyes??)... By the way. this deer I mention was running when he shot it, which if not practiced, is not a shot I would recommend for people to take!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Edcyclopedia; 08-29-2009 at 03:22 AM.