HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 243 big enough for whitetails?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 06:44 PM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Edcyclopedia
Yes to a well placed shot!

Ask your self this...

If the deer could step away as you squeeze the trigger and you hit a shoulder or gut would you still feel comfortable with a .243?

How about if it's 10 degrees, your cold and shivering in low light conditions, in other words not at a shooting range, could you still perform flawlessly?

I have a small story about my hunt to TX. in 2007... The guided who owns and operates the hunt I went on (28 years running), plain and simply put it this way. Almost 1/3 of his clients use .243 to hunt with and 90% of the wounded deer are by the same 1/3 of the .243 users! Coincidence?

90 or 100 grain bullets don't do as much damage as a 130 or 140 grain bullet would do, period, and I'm betting most of us are not trained snipers. Maybe damn good marksman, but don't forget your not shooting at a target anymore. These deer move at the most inopportune time. I'd rather bump up a little, as to plan for a mishap, instead of maiming an animal!

I did say that a "well placed" HIGH percentage shot will yield a dead deer with almost any caliber, yes, even a .22, but I wouldn't use one...

Would you use a .270 for Moose or Bear? I think if I had a choice I would bump up to a .30-06 or something like that...
I'll call BS on that...

You can word it anyway you want...Since 1980 it's the only centerfire I have owned and I've killed dang near 200 deer with it...We kill 40-50 deer a year on our farms and have done so for about 25 years...I've seen plenty of deer killed and skinned plenty more...This guide didn't know his butt from first base...
There are just as many deer lost with .270s as .243s, no difference in how fast a deer dies with the same shot and similiarly constructed bullets...

While we are at it, I have evenings where I'm skinning deer shot with .308, 7mm-08, .270s, .280s, .30-06, .260...When you throw them in the pile you can't tell what killed them, nothing but blood and guts...

.270 for bear??? I've killed 6 with my .243, they get in my peanuts and I'll kill them...Does as well as anything (if you put it in the right place)...