HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting for meat..
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 05:03 AM
Wub
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
Why do some "meat hunters" think their reason for hunting is somehow more pure? I eat every deer I kill but its the sport more than anything that draws me. None us must hunt in order to keep from starving. We do it for the sport....antler or meat...its all for sport. If you count the money invested for tags, equipment, time, etc...it would not be very cost effective. Hunt for bone or meat and be happy we can do it. One reason is no more pure than the other.
I don't think we're trying to front more pure of a cause, I'm not anyway. We're just discussing the monetary justification of deer hunting. I love the sport of hunting; even if I don't use my tag. But being poor with 4 kids, filling the freezer with meet at a cost of about $2/pound does help. If it weren't for the meat, I might not be able to hunt. I love walleye fishing but since I have to travel to do it, I generally don't get to because of the the cost. It's the same with duck hunting for me. I would love to but I can't justify the cost. Luckily, I can with deer hunting.