HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NYS bow hunting license
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 08:14 PM
johnnyc531
Fork Horn

I actually took the bow course twice, once in the scouts when I was about 15 and again when I was 26 the 1st year I hunted; (because I couldn't find the certificate from the first time and becuase I figured I could use a refresher anyway) I think the bowhunting course was actually far better then the general hunting course even for general hunting, seemed to be more about actual hunting skills for ethical hunting then general safety like for example how not to get hypothermia that seemed to be too much of a focus in general hunting course for me, then again being I'd gone through scouts that stuff was just a repeat of knowledge I had. I actually was lucky to have a mentor to hunt with, I can't imagine trying to gut my first deer just from what I'd learned in a hunter safety course, something can be said for hands on experience and learning with someone that knows what they are doing. I'd actually like to see a optional course offered in hunting skills and techniques with less book work and more hands on instruction for people that don't have the advantange of a mentor to hunt with till they learn the ropes.