HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My 09 Public Land Pronghorn
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Elkcrazy8
Nontypical Buck

Default Thanks

Thanks guys. I hate the desert with a passion, but really admire the advanced senses of antelope and the challenges that comes with hunting them. They act like they are on crack half the time. The one sense that seems almost no existant is their sense of smell. They have walked right by my morning duty and never even slowed down, but they can spot you two miles away low crawling to the bushes when you have to. I have seen them run with panic because a grasshopper blows up in front of them, but they will stand there and watch military jets break the sound barrier right over top of them without batting and eyelash. They will not drink with their head over a string leaving you to pursuade them to drink elsewhere. If you hit the peak rut window, you can pop up a decoy and bring them right in. When they come in a hunter can stand up right behind the decoy and draw. The antelope are so focused on the buck decoy , they wont even see you standing there. Its all these traits and many more that definately make the desert more enjoyable.