HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - mineral feeds
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2003, 10:33 PM
farm hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mineral feeds

Hey S. TX =

I like the way you presented the case for mineral supplements - where did you get your information - I hope you don' t mind sharing.

Thanks

Wigmap =

I' ve tried several mineral licks, and have come to some of my own conclusions - I will say right up front that MY expereineces may differ than others, and MAY NOT be the same as you might experience in your area.

1. Mineral sites do attract deer, - Especially May-August, - the more salt - the higher the attraction.

#1 is the Observation - and I think most will find it Undisputed. The BIG question is - does the lick help the herd?....

Here is what I think......

NOTHING can replace the minerals taken in by the deer in their browse/plots that they feed on. There is a VERY direct correlation between the amount of Phosphorous and Calcium (and Protein) avalible to the amounts of Lime and Fertilizer applied to preferred browse/plots. If you have a foodplot - you' d be better off to spend the money on Lime and/or fertilizer and apply liberally per the soil test. The results are more readily seen & documented than with licks alone.

Does this mean I never use a lick? No - not at all. In fact I use a lick - especially at fawning (May-June) to help lactating does- and It is high in salt - on purpose, to excellerate and foster milk production.

Do I use a lick for antler development? - No - Not specifically - Occasionally, I' ll use a cow type mineral with salt through August - mostly to establish a habitual feeding/ watering ritual for the local herd, that - proven or not - I hope tends to keep young bucks from dispersing, and does in a pattern that I can use to my advantage come hunting season.

Maybe this helps in antler development, to some bucks that use the licks - That I cannot disprove thusfar (thats a good thing). HOWEVER - given buck dispersal, if I were a betting man, I would not be wagering the farm on it.