HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What would you like to see on outdoor TV shows?
Old 08-16-2003, 11:40 AM
TxCowboy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would you like to see on outdoor TV shows?

Very interesting topic and many interesting posts on the subject.

I see where most of us say that we want " real hunters, hunting in real woods, like we do" ie: not going to a high fenced ranch and killing a 150 class buck in 10 mins of video.

I can agree but when we think about this in a logical fashion, a show of me or you hunting would be boring. I go out and might not see a deer for 2 hunts. Then I might see a couple does and a yearlying 6pt comes by for 30 secs. I see plenty of birds and squirrels and after about 4 hrs, I' m bored to tears and I can sit no longer. Now lets be honest, do you really want to sit down and watch a show like that?? Heck I don' t. I want to see someone who' s having more luck than me. These hunting shows are expensive and the longer it takes to film one show the more it costs. Also remember that the vast majority of these hunting shows are not getting rich. Sure some are making money but most aren' t. There is alot of talk of seeing the " common man" more on these shows, I agree until I flip on the Outdoor Channel. There I see Bubba talking to the camera and all I can think of is, that he must be the same person they interviewed when the tornado came thru the trailer park. Then there is the other extreme with the very very professional shows like the Real Tree shows. If I am forced to make a decision, I choose Real Tree over Bubba any day. If I wanted to see myself, I' d have my buddy follow me on my hunts with a camera.lol

I will also be the first to admit I get tired of the same old fake crap like everyone else. The fake emotions, the fake trailing the deer, the high fenced hunting (when it is like a zoo, not neccessarily talking about all high fences) Speaking of high fences, let me go a step further. I guess they wouldn' t bother me as much if the show admited they were hunting under a high fence. But instead they lead the viewer to believe that they are out in the wild when in all honesty they aren' t. They are in a controlled hunting environment.

After saying all that, I too, am and fed up with hunting shows. I rarely ever turn on the Outdoor Channel anymore. I can' t tell you exactly why either?