HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many of you plan on shooting does
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 07:17 AM
bawanajim
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CT-Hunter
There is where you are wrong. Unlike you I do not worship at the alter of big antlers. I am repelled by the t.v. shows where some one sits in a stand and pops a a baited buck from a few hundred yards and pretends that it is a big accomplishment.

I do not romanticize the killing of deer. Killing deer, or killing anything for that matter, is a pretty mundane thing. Any 10 year old with a gun can do it. While I take deer, that is not why I hunt. I hunt even when I have real intention of taking a deer. Indeed I would argue that I hunt all year, though for much of the year I don't carry a rifle.
Funny I don't recall antlers as being mentioned in this thread, except by you.
I just find "The brown its down" mentality as juvenile or some what lacking as a perspective or reason to hunt.

I relish the site of a red fox mousing or a flock of chickadees foraging through fresh snow it gives me reason to be in the woods.
I do recall mentioning a post or so ago how simplistic the actual killing of a deer really can be, so myself I prefer to enjoy a more fulfilling day afield than killing the first deer I see.
But once again, to each their own, if a fawn floats your boat have at it.