HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cannelured bullet crimp
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
bigcountry

Nope, here's how you do it.

1.) You raise ram with a powdered charged sized case (in your case for testing, you don't need powder).
2.) You screw out the seater plug (not die) several turns, just not all the way until it comes out.
3.) You screw in your die body until it touches the case mouth, then you screw it out 1 complete turn.
4.) You then lock down your die body.
5.) You screw in your die seater plug until you reach desired seating COL. At this point, your bullet is seated but not crimped. If you are not crimping, then your done setting up. If you are crimping go to step 6.
6.) Now you want to setup your crimp operation. Lower you Ram. Now unscrew you seater plug several turns like 5 or so.
7.) Screw in your die body until it touches your case mouth. Screw in 1/4 turn more and lock down the body.
8.) Raise the ram to crimp. Keep lowering die body until you desired crimp. Then lock the seater die body down. Your not going to move it anymore.
9.) Now with the die locked down, you need to setup your seater again. So raise your ram again and screw in seater plug until it touches your bullet. Lower your ram and screw in about 1/8 turn or less your seater plug (crushing factor). Lock down the seater plug.
10.) Now your done and can seat and crimp same time.

I know it sounds complicated but after you set one up a time or two, you can do it in your sleep. What you were doing before was crushing your mouth which expanded your neck.

Originally Posted by DannyD
Please help me understand. In newbie terms this is what i do.

I screw the die into the press. I place a case and bullet into the shell holder. I raise the case and then lower it. If the bullet needs to be seated lower. i screw the die further into the press. I continue this process a little at a time until the neck is even with the middle of the bullets cannelure. once i have that depth i tighten the nut around the die snug to the press. This should have the bullet seated at the correct depth going forward.
However, doing this has the neck even with the cannelure and the bullet spins.
In very new guy terms, what do i do from there?

I'm sure i'm asking very remedial questions and appologize in advance for sounding so inexperienced. But i am actually very new at it