HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shot the Rage FINALY!
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 08:12 PM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
No. Not "just" paper tuned.

Proper tuning involves the marriage of a properly spined; weighted; length; tip-weight; Broadhead equipped arrow with a correct DW; center-shot bow (for the comound shooter).

I have very little confidence (based on what I read in bowhunting forums) in people going afield with tuned setups. Call me a skeptic.
The sad thing is Jeff, many don't even know they aren't tuned. You're a relative new-comer to archery, and you probably have never used one, but the OLD sights used to have pins arranged not only for elevation, but also for windage for each individual pin. Many of our bows in the early 90's were set up and then RE-SIGHTED to shoot BH's because FP's and BH's weren't even CLOSE. Us old fingershooters just never had the accuracy that we find today using mechanical releases and drop-away arrow rests, but that is certainly not a BAD thing, as I believe the game is more humanely harvested nowadays vs. 25yrs ago. The internet is a remarkable thing in that now rather than loading a bow up, going down to a shop, and having a couple guys look at your bow, and form, and critique you, whether they new anything or not, NOW, a guy can take a picture, or a video, post it online and actually find 4-5 guys who DO KNOW SOMETHING, get decent feedback, and go back to the drawing board correcting anything that appears to need corrected.

I've learned more about archery and bow-tuning, etc in the last 5 yrs. than I did in the previous 13-14yrs, by a LONG SHOT!!! At the same time, MANY others have learned a great amount, and shared a great amount of knowledge, and in the overall realm, archery hunters are probably far more well-prepared to take to the woods today than they were 5 or 10 yrs ago, because we're so much better educated.

And while you have little confidence in the tune of many people's bows (not that I disagree with you) do you feel a slightly out of tune compound is any less capable than your Trad-Bow at delivering a killing shot???