HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooting 101
Thread: Shooting 101
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 05:00 PM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting

The real beauty of a rifle in a pistol cartridge is the fact that they are much cheaper to shoot. Pick up a rifle(with open sights) that is similsr to your big game rifle(in action), but is chambered in a pistol cartridge. If you reload then great, it will be even cheaper, but if not then buy inexpensive hardball. Then go out in the woods and shoot. It is that simlpe. I do a lot of stump shooting in the woods. Pick out a stump and figure out the most accurate-expedient way that you can put lead into the stump. Then do it.

Groups are for bench rest shooters, and to brag about on the internet. But groups have no place in the real world for the hunter. For the hunter--putting the bullet where it belongs is the challenge.

I cast my own bullets for my 357. 44 magnum, and 45 Colt rifles. I can put about 1,000 rounds down range for about $100.

After you shoot a few thousand rounds down range in the woods then you will "feel" it.

Figure out a way to get cheap ammo and shoot.

22's are fine. But they are not the real thing. Get rid of that semi-auto and buy a single shot, bolt, or lever action(open sights). It is that simple. Tom.