HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooting 101
Thread: Shooting 101
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 06:18 AM
skb2706
Nontypical Buck

Hunting is 99.9% patience and scouting and .1% shooting.

To learn to be a shooter I shoot prairie dogs at long range and focus on the mechanics of the gun and how it should look as the shot is fired. Shooting in field positions helps alot as it prepares you for the unexpected. Here we hunt from the ground so i really like shooting sticks. As was said practice is the only way to learn to shoot.

Hunting is a whole nother matter. Finding game and either getting them to come to you or you go to them is a skill in itself. Not to be confused with shooting. A mentor is helpful assuming they have some skills themselves. First learn to hunt safe, then learn to hunt well.

I don't shoot much paper as I prefer reactive targets. A good group is when there are enough prairie dogs on a mound to shoot the whole "group" and none of them dive.

Starting with a smaller gun is always a good idea. Working up to larger guns conditions you for recoil and muzzle blast.

Proper shot sequence ? While hunting ? Shoot once and collect dead beast. Sequence is over.

Lay a cardboard box on its side next to the ejection port of your gun, it will catch the majority of the empties.