HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ammo opinion
Thread: Ammo opinion
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 04:04 AM
RugerM77.270
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Switchback_XT
I was not being sarcastic at all. While I was gutting the deer I took a close look at the lungs and hart. I found that the 130 grain cheap bullets out of a 22 inch barrel did all of their expantion in the entrance wound side of the 1st lung they encounter. They then poked a small hole through the rest of the deer.
On any deer I shot with the .270 they ran FAR off, some times to a completly different spread of woods.
Many that I shot but missed the heart were wounded but still out there runin around today.
That is why I say the 150 grain would be his best bet given the choices. If I were to recommend a bullet I would point him twards the Barnes solid slugs. They are the only bullets ever to have 100% weight retention after expansion.
Actually LOOK at the damage your bullets did, and pay close attention to WHERE it did its damage. Just because it poked a hole does not mean its gud enough. those little holes can be covered up by the skin moving. Then you have no blood trail at all and likely no deer at all.
Personally I look for a round designed around 200 grain bullets before I will accept it as a deer round. Then they don't take to many steps after the shot.
Sounds like a personal problem to me. I have used and 270 for a few years now and had great success with 130gr Gamekings and 140gr Hornday btsp. I have examined closely the heart and lungs after the shot and you know what? They weren't there, they were blown to pudding. If you can't kill effectivelly with a 270 and a 130 gr. bullet you need to go back to hunting school and there are millions of dead deer out there to prove it.