HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question about hunting in the military
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 10:15 AM
SGT.H
Fork Horn

I've been in the Air Force for 7years. My first base was out in California at Travis AFB. I was in the dorms for the most part of my time there, so I couldnt have any weapons(this includes guns and bows). I didnt get the chance to do any hunting, which would have been cool because there were blacktail running everywhere, and I will probley never get the chance to kill one again. You can keep a weapon at the armory if you want to, but one thing you got to think about is what are you going to do with a deer if you kill one. YOU only got a refrigerator, so you will need to hook up with someone you work with that hunts, and maybe work out something with them ie: (freezer space, gun storage).

Once you make Senior Airman, you can move off base and get your own place. Thats when it gets easier to hunt. You just got to put in your time and make rank.

Im at Scott AFB now in Illinois. I hunt every weekend that i can. Great bowhunting, and big bucks. I live in base housing since i got married a few years back. I got all my guns and bows at the house with me.

So, i guess the best thing i can tell you is it will be a little rough the first few years, but once you get your own place, you can do whatever you want to do.

Hopefully someone you work with will be a hunter, and can help you out. Most people are willing to help the younger troops if they can.

Good luck with the Air Force, It's been good for me. If you got any questions, you can PM me and I will try to answer them for you.

Last edited by SGT.H; 07-25-2009 at 10:28 AM.