HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need help,what plants still attract deer after heavy frost and even snow?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:09 AM
dvallilee
Spike

Default Need help,what plants still attract deer after heavy frost and even snow?

I live in upstate NY and would like to put in a small food plot.A plot that I could use for archery season that starts Oct 15 and ends when rifle/shotgun season opens on the 3rd Saturday in November.Rifle season last for 3 weeks,then Muzzleloader season starts.
Last year the deer were eating grass in a large open area during rifle season,there was about 2" of snow on the ground.That is the only open area for miles the rest of the land is heavily wooded.I would like to plant something that would work for archery through muzzleloader season.We usually have snow by the middle of November.With many heavy frosts before that.Would winter peas,oats or wheat be the best?Can clover take a heavy frost?I would appreciate your opinion,Thanks.

Last edited by dvallilee; 07-23-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: The heading sounds wrong